National continue the Wall of Silence over Sabin

Yesterday’s Question Time saw valiant attempts by the opposition to get information from National as to how it had handled the information about Mike Sabin.

Government ministers are refusing to comment – inside or outside Parliament – on Mike Sabin’s resignation.

Opposition MPs and the media have been trying to find out whether police told ministers they were investigating Mr Sabin, and when.

The Northland MP resigned late last month, citing “personal issues”. He had been in Parliament since 2011.

It’s been reported police started investigating him before the September 20 election, which raises questions about whether he should have been a candidate.

And the New Zealand Herald reported today police did tell ministers before the election that an MP was under investigation, but didn’t reveal who it was.

If that is the case, how can Police claim they didn’t fail under their “no surprises” policy? ? What do they expect people to do? ?Play pass the Parcel until the right name pops out? ? Some kind of Musical Chairs where Woodhouse keeps mentioning names until it goes silent at the other end of the phone? ?How exactly did Police serve the “no surprises” requirement by not telling the Government?who it was investigating? ?

In Parliament today Labour MPs did their best to discover what went on, and failed.

Labour leader Andrew Little says it isn’t plausible that the police
“Despite widespread speculation in the media and from the opposition, police advise me they have declined to confirm to media any investigation regarding Mr Sabin,” said Police Minister Michael Woodhouse.

“It is not for the minister to get ahead of the police in discussing unconfirmed operational matters.”

Labour’s Kelvin Davis and NZ First leader Winston Peters kept trying, but Mr Woodhouse said it wouldn’t be in the public interest for him to say anything else.

Opposition MPs shouted “that’s ridiculous” but Speaker David Carter backed Mr Woodhouse.

“The minister is declining to give that information… that is a judgment call the minister is entitled to make,” Mr Carter said.

Outside Parliament, Prime Minister John Key told reporters several times “I’m not commenting on that issue”.

Former police minister Anne Tolley, who held the role before the election, wouldn’t say anything either.

I get the fact that they don’t want to jeopardise the “non existent” investigation, but this is getting absurd. ?The MP has resigned over something. ?He didn’t expect to go, because he was clearly put in charge of a select committee, and Key even admitted he had him lined up for a ministerial position.

So now Sabin resigns, is not under investigation, and everyone isn’t saying a word.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

 

– Peter Wilson, 3 News

31%
×