“forced her to walk around Cornwall Park naked on her hands and knees leashed like a dog”

A man accused of forcing his girlfriend to get breast implants has been awarded $20,000 by a judge who criticised the police investigation into her “bizarre” allegations.

The 27-year-old faced 36 serious criminal charges, including numerous violent assaults and rapes over a two-month period, and would have spent between 16 and 18 years in prison if convicted.

He was alleged to have locked the woman in his bedroom for three days without food or water, tortured her with pins until she bled, forced her to walk around Cornwall Park naked on her hands and knees leashed like a dog, and pressured her into breast surgery.

But the charges were dropped a week before the trial and the man took legal action against the police to recover some of the legal bill he spent fighting the case.

Judge David Sharp awarded him $20,000 and defence barrister Graeme Newell told the Herald on Sunday he would ask the police to investigate the woman for laying a false rape complaint.

I can’t understand how that got as far as court. ?If he forced her to walk around Cornwall Park naked on her hands and knees leashed like a dog, you’d expect there to be a witness or two.

So how did this get as far as a judge?

The case depended entirely on the credibility of the complainant, which Judge Sharp said was “seriously questioned” by a number of factors including allegations which “could be described as bizarre” and a financial dispute between the pair.

The alleged sexual offending, described as “depraved”, took place over two months during a consensual romantic relationship over nearly a year.

This long timeframe of “bizarre” abuse was described as “unusual” by Judge Sharp, although the police maintained this was because the man held a psychological grip over the woman.

The violent sexual abuse allegedly occurred between August and October 2013 and the relationship ended in March 2014.

The next month, the woman laid a complaint and he was arrested nearly a year later in February 2015. The charges were dropped in November 2015.

As part of the application for costs, Newell said the financial dispute was a motive for a false complaint.

Bank and travel records corroborated part of the complainant’s story and her credibility had been expertly assessed, the Crown said.

“Hindsight may now provide reasons not to accept her evidence but at that time police relied on what she told them. To have not regarded them seriously would have been a major mistake.”

Clearly the police “expert” was having a bad day.



– Jarad Savage, NZ Herald